Sunday, January 29, 2012

GYMKOMMENTARY #16: Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace

Every saga has a beginning. A confusing, boring, vaguely racist beginning.



The Tale of the Tape
Film: Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999)
Director: George Lucas
Runtime: 500 million minutes (or 136 minutes; hard to say when you're watching it)
Genre: Disgraceful Prequel
Stars: Liam Neeson, Ewan McGregor, Natalie Portman
Rated: PG for Sci-Fi/Action Violence, Mild Gungan Profanity, and Crimes Against a Generation's Collective Childhood.
IMDb, Wikipedia, Jake Lloyd: Ten Years After Phantom Menace

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away two men decided to embark upon a great quest: to do fan commentary tracks for all six episodes of Star Wars. We begin with The Phantom Menace, which just happens to be coming back to theaters on February 10, and in price-and-eye-gouging 3D. We here at Gymkommentary do not recommend you pay $18 to see Episode I, but if you have to, see it with us. We'll share your frustration through the interminable discussions of trade routes and taxation, and share your disgust at the slightest mention of Jar Jar Binks.

May the Force be with you Gymkommentarians. You will need it.

15 comments:

Derek said...

Whoohoo! Star Wars! I'm going to cue this up right away.

I imagine you're going to do the whole saga. I can't wait to hear what you have to say about the ewoks in, like, 2015.

Unknown said...

Horray! I love pain. Can't wait too. Thanks Matt and Chris!

Anonymous said...

Great stuff. Good job guys.

Unknown said...

Watched it almost 3 times already (with the Kommentary), pretty sure I blacked out at the pod-racing scene on the last viewing. Great job I and I was particularly amazed that you could stay coherent throughout the entire catastrophe. But really next time I want some booze to be involved. Just a request. I feel it makes you take the movie more personal. Like personally insulting, which makes it easier to hate on it. Just my 2¢. Thanks guys! Oh and my GF loves you both. (more than rifftrax sometimes) and I know that's not what you're trying to be, so don't worry, but you are funny so that's your own fault. =D
....Soo when do we get to see the next one? =D

David L. said...

Truly hilarious. This is the best unofficial commentary for this trainwreck I have heard to date (out of 20+). When can we look forward to Attack of the Clones?

Matt Singer said...

David-

Happy to say Chris and I will be recording it later this week. So look forward to it in a few weeks! (Hopefully.)

Best,
Matt

Matt Singer said...

David-

Happy to say Chris and I will be recording it later this week. So look forward to it in a few weeks! (Hopefully.)

Best,
Matt

Unknown said...

Aahhhhh =o
I gotta have it, now! Please! please! please!? soon.... I just loves to hear GymKommentary with the Matt Singer and Chris Moreno.
Thanks, k bai :3

Anonymous said...

My girlfriend's birthday is tomorrow and all she wants is Gymkommentary. No joke, can you help me with that; as always thanks for the all the laughs guys. Take care.

Unknown said...

In these somewhat rocky times. It's comforting to see the stability of the GymKommentary Blogger Homepage. It serves as a symbol of certainty in such a vast universe of consistent change.
Thanks for all the good times and great laughs.

Skye said...

This has to be the most riffed movie in history, what a turd. Always glad to see a new Gymkommentary, keep them coming guys! You are by far my fave riffers outside the MST/RiffTrax guys. MORE GOLAN GLOBUS hahaha. How about Samurai Cop? Or Traxx?

Unknown said...

HOPEFULLY? That's an overused and disingenuous sentiment anymore. Just checking are you guys still alive? Give me the recordings on dropbox i will edit and return the final track, at least check to make sure you still have it. or PLEASE do any other gems. Really are you okay. Is there anything I can do besides wait for the warm embrace of death, for I fear we will not see another beloved GymKommentary before that day. Please give us a sign.

Skye said...

Hope you guys make some more riffs...

Anonymous said...

So you guys dead or what?

Dave said...

So sad to see that there are no more Gymkommentary rifftracks. You guys were easily the best and my friends and I always enjoy watching/listening to them. Hope you decide to make some more at some point in the future.